A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling tired and not excited to go to the office so I stopped at a local cafe and picked up a pumpkin scone. It was so good and literally made me so happy! I immediately said I wanted to bake some pumpkin goodies so I could always receive this instant satisfaction. I printed a bunch of recipes including a version of these Pumpkin Apple Muffins, but never got around to making them…until today. I made a pumpkin chili on Sunday to have for the week and the leftover pumpkin was starring at me, asking to be made into a yummy baked good!
This morning, I was rolling around in bed and debating whether I should try to go back to sleep, work out or just sip coffee on the couch. I decided to sip coffee on the couch and enjoy some quiet alone time. As soon as I opened the fridge I saw the pumpkin and apple and got inspired. I pulled out all the ingredients and got to work at 6:15am.
And I am so happy I did!
These are the perfect Fall treat without making you feel guilty at all. There is a small amount of sugar and the calories are only 151 per muffin which is way better than anything you typically get at a cafe or store.
Emerson and I enjoyed them together this morning! She woke up as I was finishing combining all the ingredients and helped me put them in the muffin tin. Check out my Insta story today if you want to see her chowing on a muffin! 🙂
She is starting to get interested in helping me cook which is fun!I am going to have to think of some kid friendly recipes. Let me know if you have any!
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats + extra for topping
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon + more for apples
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg, at room temp (so it doesn't harden the coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with oil.
- Sautee apples in a skillet with butter and sprinkle of cinnamon until soft. Set aside.
- Combine pumpkin puree, almond milk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla extract and egg in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix together. Carefully and slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Put about a 1/3 of the dry ingredients, at a time, into the wet ingredients and stir.
- Add apples and oats and stir again lightly until just combined. Spoon into muffin tin filled to the top. Sprinkle oats on top (optional).
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until golden brown and a fork comes out clean.
- Refrigerate to ensure freshness.
* adapted from Minimalist Baker's Vegan Pumpkin Apple Muffins
What are your favorite fall pumpkin recipes? I had originally pulled this one after going apple picking, but I love it more for the pumpkin than the apple!
Are you an apple fan or a pumpkin fan? I eat apples almost every day but I love the seasonal excitement around pumpkin. There is nothing else like it!